Both Visa and MasterCard cards are used for international payments, but which is better to use. Let's compare Visa and MasterCard cards to know the answer.
Visa and MasterCard are two types of cards used for international payments. In this article, CashBerry will compare Visa and MasterCard cards to see what is the difference between them and their preferential policies. From there, consumers know what is the right choice.
What is Visa Card? What is MasterCard?
Before comparing Visa and MasterCard cards , consider what is the difference between them, let's learn about Visa and MasterCard cards, what are the uses.
Visa card is an international payment card issued by Visa International Service Association based in San Francisco, California, USA in association with banks. On the card there is a VISA icon located in the right corner.
MasterCard card is an international payment card issued by MasterCard Worldwide company based in Purchase, New York, USA in conjunction with banks. On the card there is a MasterCard logo located in the right corner.
MasterCard and Visa cards are used as an alternative to cash . You can use your card to withdraw money, make purchases online, or pay at merchants worldwide.
The parent companies do not directly issue Visa and MasterCard cards, but cooperate with banks in each country to issue cards.
Compare Visa and MasterCard thẻ
To see the difference between MasterCard and Visa Card , follow the description below.
Similarities between Visa and MasterCard
Visa and MasterCard cards
- All are international payment cards.
- Help customers spend for all transactions at home and abroad and can withdraw cash from the card.
Includes 2 types of cards:
- Debit card: is a payment card that you can only use limited to the amount of money in the bank account associated with the card.
- Credit card: is a card that allows you to "borrow money" from the Bank for temporary spending and shopping. You then repay the “temporary loan” to the bank by the due date shown on your monthly bill statement.
Both have 2 functions:
- International payments (including online and in-store payments).
- Cash withdrawals.
Visa and MasterCard credit cards have the same limit.
Visa card is different from MasterCard ?
- Icon on the front of the card: the right corner of the card has the word "VISA" in white or prominent blue. The V-head is yellow. Some cards also have a white dove symbol.
- Security characters: letter V (or CV, PV, RV) imprinted under the logo.
- Icon on the front of the card: the right corner of the card has the word "MasterCard" inside or below 2 red and orange circles.
- Security characters: letter M and letter C interlocked, imprinted under the logo.
Visa International Service Association
Only popular in Asia
The popularity is very wide, in both Europe and America
3D secure technology
Modern EMV chip
Should I use Visa or MasterCard ?
After comparing Visa and MasterCard cards , we see that the difference between these two cards is not too big. When deciding to open a Visa or MasterCard card, consider the following factors:
- Scope of card use
Normally, citizens in the Americas and Europe often use MasterCard, in Asia, the percentage of Visa card users is slightly higher. In addition, there are still some countries that refuse to use MasterCard and Visa cards such as China and Korea.
Purpose of use is one of the important criteria that you need to keep in mind when choosing to open a card . If you only use your card to pay when traveling in Asia, you should choose to open a Visa card. If you need to open a card for the purpose of studying abroad or regularly working in the US or Europe, MasterCard will be the best choice.
- Special offers
Besides considering the scope and purpose of using the card, you also need to consider the incentives that the issuing bank offers to Visa/MasterCard cardholders.
From time to time, the bank will issue different incentives for each type of card. There are annual free programs when opening MasterCard, but not for Visa cards.
Note when using Visa and MasterCard cards
To use Visa and MasterCard cards safely, you need to note a few things as follows:
- Visa/MasterCard card has 3 digits CVV/CVC on the back of the card, used as PIN when buying online (because online payment does not enter PIN but enter these 3 numbers). Therefore, please cleverly delete your CVV/CVC immediately after receiving the card.
- Sign your name on the back of the card. This signature will be used to compare the signature on the invoice when you pay.
- Do not lend your card to others.
- Don't forget to register Verified by Visa/MasterCard Secure Code for your card.
- Do not withdraw money at ATMs other than banks, because most banks now charge a fee of 4% at least 50,000 VND no matter how much you withdraw.
- Using Visa and MasterCard cards for payment, you will often receive promotions, discounts, refunds, receive shopping vouchers, etc., especially credit card holders .
If you make a prepaid Visa/MasterCard debit card, just bring your ID card to your favorite bank to request a card. As for credit cards, banks will have stricter conditions and procedures.
After comparing Visa and MasterCard cards , do you know which card you should choose? Please carefully consider the purposes as well as the place of use and promotions to apply for the right card. Need more advice, please contact CashBerry Fanpage for quick answers!