Chip ATM cards will be the main circulation cards to replace magnetic cards in the future. So what should be done to switch to a chip-based ATM card that is both fast and cost-free?
Currently, ATM cards have almost become an "inseparable object" for many people. And according to the new regulations of the State Bank, magnetic cards will soon be "killed" and changed to using ATM chip cards . So, why should you switch to chip cards? Is it mandatory and how much does it cost at banks? Let's find the answer with CashBerry in the article below!
Any person owns at least 1 ATM card, often used to serve personal needs such as receiving salary, payment, saving money, etc. However, most of them only have cards from ATMs. issued by banks.
In the near future, when magnetic cards no longer work (ie cannot be transacted at any transaction points nationwide), it is necessary to switch to chip ATM cards . Therefore, from now on, you should start learning the conversion process at the bank providing the service.
What is a chip ATM card ?
First of all, you need to understand what an ATM card is. This is the most common form of card today and all information about the customer, card number, important black stripe is displayed right on the card.
When withdrawing money or making transactions, the machine will automatically scan personal information from the black strip. Therefore, magnetic cards do not have high security because it is easy for hackers to steal information with just a normal swiping device.
Unlike magnetic cards, ATM cards with chips (also known as Chip cards, Smart cards) will encrypt all user personal information on a chip located on the front of the card. In order to make a transaction, a chip card must go through many different authentication steps of the card receiving device, the paying bank, the Mastercard/Visa organization and the issuing bank.
With each transaction, the ATM chip card generates new codes, so even though the size is the same, the security of the transaction has been increased many times. Currently, chip cards are circulating under two popular card forms:
- Chip cards with contact only write, erase or output data when placed in the card receiving slot on the reader.
- Contactless chip cards, which means that users do not need to place contact cards directly with the reader but still receive the necessary information.
Besides, chip card will integrate other features such as passbook , student card , loan via ATM card, etc. The data can be erased and recorded many times so users do not have to buy a blank card. at the time of card exchange.
Should I change from a magnetic ATM card to an ATM chip card ?
Although the State Bank has postponed the deadline for exchanging chip ATM cards and magnetic cards are still valid after December 31, 2021. However, to ensure your benefits, it's best to hurry up. quickly change to chip cards.
Optimizing information security
As mentioned above, the ATM chip card works on the principle of encoding information in the form of binary symbols of the computer. In particular, these encodings are constantly changed for each transaction. Since then, information security is also guaranteed. Users no longer worry about their information being stolen by crooks, affecting money in their accounts.
In addition, every transaction with an ATM chip card must go through many different authentication steps. This strict operating principle has increased the safety of transactions. Although the processing process is somewhat complicated, thanks to the fast processing speed, you still save time.
Chip card with personal PIN code is considered as the optimal solution to effectively prevent forgery and fraud of information. The acts of making fake ATM cards no longer happen when users unfortunately lose or lose their cards.
Especially for payments with ATM chip cards, the system will automatically send a confirmation message to the registered user's phone number. This is to prevent personal information and card information from being leaked, to avoid unauthorized transactions.
Fast and convenient transactions and withdrawals
Equipping chips directly on the card makes transactions and withdrawals much faster and easier. Contactless transaction technology helps users do not need to do as many operations as with magnetic cards. You just need to put the card in the ATM or POS machine and confirm it successfully when you hear the "beep" sound.
No card switching fees
At this time, banks are implementing a series of free chip card conversion programs to support customers. These programs may end after a while, so get your cards in early. Especially before December 31, 2021 to get free and early experience the attractive benefits of ATM chip cards.
Does ATM chip card often fail?
Nothing is perfect, so are ATM chip cards. When using this card, why can't ATM read the chip ? Is this a worrying bug?
In fact, this error is often caused by a problem with the electronic chip of the ATM card. At that time, the chip will no longer be able to perform its functions. Following that, the ATM system cannot read the data/information inside the chip. During this time, you will not be able to trade because the risk of information disclosure is very high.
The reason why the ATM chip card fails when used may be because:
- The chip is attacked by a virus, causing data/information to be lost or erroneous, leading to card errors and inability to transact.
- The card is wet and broken, so it is difficult for the machine to read the information and process the request given.
- The bank's chip system is faulty, all data is now very easy to be exposed and the system will not be able to read the information inside the chip anymore.
- Chips are bent and scratched making ATMs unrecognizable, especially when the scratch is in the center of the chip.
If you encounter one of these errors, the best solution is to contact your bank for a quick fix. Avoid the loss of unnecessary information as well as make the transaction always go smoothly.
Process of converting to ATM chip card
Facing the complicated situation of the epidemic and avoiding large crowds, banks have implemented programs to support the conversion of ATM chip cards in both face-to-face and online forms.
● Direct chip card transfer at the bank's transaction points.
This is the preferred method chosen by many banks, the process includes the following steps:
- Step 1 : Bring valid ID card/CCCD or passport to the nearest branch, transaction office and request to convert magnetic card to chip card.
- Step 2 : Receive an application to change the card and fill in all information in the form.
- Step 3 : Submit the completed application to the staff with identification documents when required.
- Step 4 : The staff conducts the steps to change the card as required. Then confirm the appointment to complete the chip exchange.
● Transfer chip cards online using digital banking apps.
Banks with a good technology base encourage customers to do the conversion procedure right on the online application or the bank's apps. After that, the chip card will be delivered to the home that the customer has registered. Or at the bank's transaction point and then the customer comes to receive it.
In addition, some banks also allow card conversion at multi-function ATMs.
ATM chip card conversion fee at some banks
According to the latest statistics of Napas, currently the number of convertible chip cards reaches nearly 18.4 million cards. However, because of the complicated epidemic situation, the card conversion work in many provinces and cities is facing many difficulties and obstacles.
Regarding the fee, depending on the regulations of each bank, the conversion will be free or cost-effective. Detail:
- Many banks promote the conversion rate of ATM cards from to chip cards by implementing free support. Time from now until the end of the year for the ATM card chip Vietcombank , ATM chip Techcombank , the chip card of SHB, Asia Bank, VIB, ACB, VP, Tien Phong Bank, MBBank, Sacombank ...
- Also, some The bank has also stopped the free program for customers to change cards. And it usually takes you 50,000 VND for a conversion.
For example, with an ATM card with Agribank chip , the free card exchange ended on November 15, 2021. Therefore, when you change your card at this time, you will have to pay fees as prescribed by the bank.
Or VietinBank stipulates that customers have 1 free turn to change to Vietinbank ATM chip card . From the 2nd time, the customer will be charged a fee according to the bank's fee schedule.
The ATM chip card will be the official card in circulation in the future, so you should try to schedule time to apply for the switch. And each bank will have its own policy, please contact us directly first and get advice and support to make changing your card easier!
Today, ATM cards are not only used to “keep money” and make payments for you anymore. With the advent of smart chips, you can do everything with just an ATM card. Even borrowing and receiving money online is simpler and more accessible than ever.
Borrowing money by ATM card is a very popular form of unsecured loan. Because in addition to the advantage of not needing to mortgage collateral, you only need to have in hand an ATM card of any bank that is still valid, meets one of the attached conditions, and you can get a loan.
These conditions usually include:
- Be a Vietnamese citizen from 18 to 60 years old.
- Good credit history (stable credit score and no outstanding balance at at least two banks or financial companies).
- Having an ATM card at a lending bank, that card must have a turnover of at least VND 5 million.
- Stable income to pay monthly loans.
- The average balance of the card account is at least 2 million VND.
For those who are in need of consumer loans from 1 to 10 million, CashBerry is the first choice. 24/7 online loan service supports application preparation anytime, anywhere, quick approval and disbursement within 2 minutes.
In particular, you do not have to mortgage or prove your income, just ID/CCCD, 18 years old and have an ATM card, you can immediately receive the loan you want. Registration steps will be available on CashBerry application or website cashberry.vn .
Above is the information about ATM chip card , the world is more and more modern, your life is also enhanced. Raise your life with CashBerry online loan service, borrow money right on the app, just need an ID card/CCCD, ATM card, you can immediately receive 10 million in 24 hours.